Our recommendation to the Isles of Scilly Council, which previously instituted the Board, was the following:
“The Board would comprise two parts:
1. Strategic Board.
- Chair – IOS Council Chair
- Members: IOS Council: Chair, Chief Executive and Lead Member for Place.
- Cornwall Council: Lead member for Transport and Head of Transport (Officer)
- Representative of Business (Islands' Partnership) (excluding transport operators).
- Representative of transport users.
- Mayor of Penzance or other Penzance Town Council Representative.
- Duchy of Cornwall.
- Tresco Estates.
Board not to include non-executives, but if so, there must be a transparent means of selection.
Our MP to be invited when appropriate.
Purpose: to determine strategy, to apply for funds, to liaise with Government, to commission studies.
2. Operations Board (reporting to the Strategic Board)
- Chair – CEO of IOS Council
- A representative from each transport operator, including
- IOSSG and Tresco helicopter operators.
- Inter-island boating representatives, one for St. Mary's, one for off-islands.
- Harbour masters (local and mainland).
- St. Mary's hauliers.
- Mainland passenger transport representatives (rail, road).
- Mainland freight transporters.
Purpose: To consider operational matters in relation to transport between the IOS and mainland; to address customer service issues, both passenger and freight.”